When adding the hair to a reborn doll it help to have something you can put the dolls head on to stabilize your work area. This is what I came up with to do the job.
What you need:
Some fabric: I used a pretty Hello Kitty patterned flannel.
Sewing machine (Optional you could hand sew this.
A large bowl: I used a cake dish that we get our cakes in. The cover works brilliantly for size
- Fold your fabric in half (right side in) and use your bowl as a template to draw a circle shape on your fabric.
- Before cutting put a generous amount of pins in the folded fabric so it wont shift when you cut.
- Cut out your circle (sorry about the blurry image)
- Now take a tape measure and measure the circumference and the depth of the bowl and you have your middle part
- Cut out
- Pin (with right sides together) the straight edge to the curved edge
- Sew slowly and carefully. Make sure you keep the edges aligned.
- I wanted the pillow to be slightly smaller than the bowl so I didn’t add a seam allowance. I kept the seam to about 1cm all around the edge. On your second seam make sure to leave a little space for stuffing
- Sew down the middle of the band so you only have the stuffing hole open
- When you have sewn both sides, clip the seams without clipping the stitching.
- Now turn it the right way around
- Start by filling the pillow about half way with rice.
- Make sure the rice stays at the bottom then fill the rest of the pillow with batting. (it will give a more solid surface than the fiber fill and work better as a cushion. The batting part is the bottom of the pillow.
- Be careful not to over stuff the pillow. Sew the opening hole closed well and turn the pillow over
- Now you can manipulate the rice stuffing to position your doll head how you need to for easier rooting.