Morning Crafters and new friends.
Before I start my post I would like to thank all of you who chose to follow my blog yesterday. I can honestly say I was blown away by the response to my simple Art journal page, and how many of us there are that are like minded.
I hope we all become firm friends and share our work and the joy we get from creating.
Let’s get to it 😉
The first thing I did was go on a hunt for just the right reference picture of the Gollum. I found line art but a lot of it was not what I was after. I wanted something that jumped out the page and caught my attention and I found it in a poster for the Hobbit.
I printed out two versions.
One A4 in black and white.
Page Sizes U.S. Int’l inches (in) millimeters (mm)
Letter 8.5×11 A4 8.27×11.69 210×297
(snagged from : http://graphicdesign.stocklayouts.com/2009/09/03/us-international-page-size-conversions/ )
I set my printer (a laser printer) to its lightest setting because the poster was very dark, and I’m a sucker for being able to see details. My laser printer is only black and white. This one helps you see the tones (the variations between dark and light areas) it really helps when you are shading.
And then I printed out an A5 (half the size of an A4) in color. This was to help me match up colors as best as I could with my Derwents.
I used a white board I bought for R30 the other day and pasted my paper to it. I do have a post on that, if you hunt under drawing board you’ll see it. (Best R30 I’ve spent in a while, I’ll be buying a bigger one for bigger drawings)
It’s just straightforward card stock. Nothing fancy about it. It only occurred to me later that I had drawing cartridge I could have used. But we’ll put that down to a blonde moment (I have many of those)
I transferred the drawing and started coloring. Now, I didn’t do it in one sitting. I have a hectic busy schedule so I snagged moments whenever I could to sit and color. So it took me 3 days to get him colored in the end.
I enjoyed every minute of it!
While he was on the drawing board, I started experimenting with a background for him on a separate piece of paper.
Why did I do it all on different pages. Yes, it boils down to …
- It’s a new art journal
- I was scared I was going to mess up so I wanted to practice elsewhere first
- I’m a chicken *Clucks and bobs head* Pukuck
Lindsay played a part in the background too. I’d watched one of her tutorials on wax resist where she’d done a spider web using wax paper.
We do get “Wax wrap” in South Africa, so I wanted to try it. I don’t know if it’s the same as in the states, but I failed. The lines were too thin, and I didn’t have a wide enough brush to do a watercolor wash on A4 and not “over work” it so it wouldn’t rub the wax off.
So I took some cheap kids wax crayons I’d bough and used the white. It made thicker lines that I could work over and they stayed put.
I used Brilliance Graphite black (I have a few of the dew drop inkpads) and a make-up sponge (thanks Lindsay for that tip too)
And I used Versa Magic Cloud White (also the tear drop) And worked in the colors till I was happy with the first layer.
Then I stole a tip from Jennifer McGuire. I mixed some perfect pearls (the original perfect pearls color) with water in a mister bottle (just a recycled one from some other spray) and sprayed that over everything and heat set it.
By then I was pretty happy with it, but it needed something more.
So I put it one side and finished up the Gollum.
Quick note: You’ll notice the highlights on Smeegal are sharp. I used a trick to get that right. I used a white gellyroll pen! Yes! I mixed a pen in with my pencils and it works like a charm, especially when you want a really defined white line.
Once he was done and I was happy, I fussy cut him out the white background and put him on the background I’d created. I used a pencil and drew a line around him so I could see where I wanted him and went back in with my ink pads.
Here I have to say the craft sheet came in handy. All I did was daub some of the ink onto the craft sheet and then pick up the color and the water I’d put there too and blend in.
Adding more white and black. I also took some of the pinkish color from the shadows in his skin, and the blue from his eyes.
For this I don’t have ink pads, so I used kids water based markers, scribbling them onto the craft sheet and picking up the colors with the sponge.
When I was happy I heat set the whole thing and cut it down a little so it would fit nicely in the art journal.
You’ll notice that Gollum is a little over the top of the background.
This (I will admit with a sheepish grin) was a happy accident. I was going to put him down directly on the background, but then I moved him by accident and noticed. “Wow, it looks almost three D”
So that’s how he got stuck down. Giving him a more three D look like he was (as my daughter puts it) stepping out a portal.
I did do the lettering by hand at first, and then I used my versa mark pen to write over it and emboss it in gold and silver.
Obviously, I didn’t like it, because I ended up going to my Photoshop and redoing the lettering with some cloud brushes then printing it on white card stock.
I cut it to size, used my corner punch to round the edges than went over it with my sponges and inks again.
When I was happy, with what I added, looked at the finished image and grinned.
Because from now on, no craft supplies will ever be too precious.
I’m going to use what I have and enjoy every second of it.
I’m sorry this was such a long post, but I hope it helped those of you who wanted to know how I put it all together.
Leave a comment and say hello. I love chatting with you all.